Monday, August 06, 2007

a trip to Philly without a camera and some thoughts

I am into art and music recently. I started my watercolor painting class two weeks ago…

Last weekend, I visited Philadelphia with a friend and her friend (ps. we all friends now.).
I revisited several famous spots where I have been to in the summer of 2003, such as Liberty Bell, Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Old City Hall…
I am glad that my friends have visited all the must-go spots in her tour guide book within 26 hours. On the walk to the east side, Penn’s Landing, from the bus terminal we got to visitor center, Liberty Bell, American Philosophical Association, Washington Square, Polish museum, Independence Seaport Museum Shop… It was so sizzling that we took a bus on the way to the west side of the city. We got off the bus in front of The Thinker at Rodin Museum. After seeing The Gates of Hell, The Thinker, The Kiss, it’s about the dinner time. On the way to Chinatown for dinner, we also passed by Logan Square, LOVE Park, City Hall….After the dinner at Chinatown, it’s time to go to the hostel which is kind of far from the City Center. The Hostel located in the West Fairmont Park costs about 23 dollars a night. Since all the affordable hotels are not available, we decide to adventure a night in the hostel. Well, it was a nice and friendly hostel actually. But it took about 25 minutes by bus from the city centre to get to the closest bus stop. After the bus ride, it takes about another 25 minutes to get to the hostel by walk. During the night, it was not a pleasant walk there especially for a stranger because being exhausted and in the darkness, you feel that you would never get to the end of the road where the hostel is located. With a car, getting there should be easier.

The next morning, we went to Philadelphia Museum of Art. Compared with the last visit 4 years ago, this time I went inside the museum finally. Last visit, due to the time constraint, the tour to the Art Museum only allowed taking a picture with Rocky’s shoe prints. Anyway, I loved the museum! It is not just a gallery; the second floor exhibition presents different cultures in Europe and in Asia via mimic decoration.... I enjoyed the painting by impressionists which is the common interest btw me and Caspar. I like Monet; he likes Renoir…. Anyway, the trip in Philly ends at the Museum of Art….

Okay, back to the first idea of writing this post, I was thinking about my recent interests in painting and music. During the summer, after work, I have plenty of free time (not thinking of the coming MPRE). At the beginning, I spent most of the time watching TV until July. I started wondering what else I can do besides relaxing in front of TV all the summer nights. Yes, I guess watching TV made me lonely. After turning off the TV, I felt the room in silence suddenly and I felt empty and sad for myself. I know I was wasting my life. Finally, I started a watercolor painting class downtown. And after the first Jazz Festival, I regularly listened to the Jazz broadcasts at night. I feel better of myself that doing something interesting and meaningful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visiting Philadelphia is also one of my good memory.

It seems that you start a new life with what you are really interested in.

Next semester, I'll be a teacher leading PE students! A little afraid and worried of the coming situation...

Wen said...

:-)
you will be fine! Do your best.
I just finished my internship yesterday, so I am looking forward to the new semester.